One Month Updates

Suddenly hit me. It has been like 1 month thereabouts since I last thumped an entry in here. Hmmm… I guess it’s more like I’m in the midst of doing everything and ensuring that it’s all good. Apologies to those who have been reading this blog once in a while for the slow updates, but have really been very busy the last couple of weeks doing stuff..
Well, for one, I managed to settle my accommodations by taking my mum’s advice of staying in the hostel. Which was though quite last minute but thankfully enough, Emmanuel College still had empty places for me to stay. Shifted over to a detached house near the front gate but the room was quite small. In relation to my own room back home, it’s like ¾ the size of it. But not going to complain about it, so long as I have a place to stay.
School is quite a mess for the first few weeks because of the arrangement of timetables and planning for which of the classes that I should go for. Managed to get it sorted out thankfully enough and met my course adviser, Laura, for the first time. Quite a nice person she is, willing to help and all, in my planning of my studies here in Brisbane. Got myself a bike too. Guess I really can’t live without one. Hehe.. Supposed to use it for commuting around school and church but ended up using it to cycle to Toowong to get books from the library and to buy some groceries once in a while from Hawken village.

Church-wise, I ended up joining the Chinese Christian Church of Brisbane. Heh, contrary to what the name suggests, there is an English congregation as well. For those who know me, my Chinese isn’t exactly up to par. So, don’t start thinking that Isaac would be sprouting Chinese when I get back from studies here.. =) Think I must have been spoilt by Frankel and Harry already. The first time I got there, I’ve got this itching feeling to see what can I do and help out in the sound ministry there. The place is still using the public announcement type of speakers mounted to the four walls surrounding it. Almost cried the next week when I went behind the cabinet to take a look. They were using a karaoke based mixer and using a wireless clip-on mic for the pulpit. With only 2 more inputs left for the backup singers, there wasn’t any chance that the instruments could be DI’d as well. Which would be a major problem due to the configuration of the hall. There is a partition between the hall that effectively blocks out most of the guitar and piano sounds. And the worst part is that the guitar is using a bass amp.
Well, spoke to the people in charge of the PA there, and the pastor was recommending me to write in a proposal for this effect. Apparently, a couple of years back, there was a guy who tried to help the sound equipment side but wasn’t able to do much. Turns out the guy is one of Harry’s friends. So made contact and asked for some background information to help me to write out the proposal for it. This is going to be one of the major projects that I would be involved in here for now. See where else would require my help and where God would want to lead me to.
Joined both the church cell group and Overseas Christian Fellowship, which means that both Friday and Saturday nights together with Sunday afternoons are pretty much occupied now. Which is a good thing I guess. The lifestyle here is such that shops are closed after 5. Drives a person to such insanity to do the whole stack of Econs tutorial in one sitting. Never done that in my life, must have been really bored now..
Thanks to Roland (my former Sunday School teacher) I ended up hosting a China girl who came to Brisbane for a visit. Had to bring her around and look at the nicer parts of Brisbane, something that I might not have done had I been left alone. Went around on the CityCat along Brisbane river and took in the sights and the cold bracing air.

Ended up at one of the Uniceller’s home-stay place for dinner. Good excuse to try something different apart from the hostel food. It was Chinese cooking by the way, with the person talking Cantonese, so mustered up what Cantonese that I can and attempted to strike a conversation with her after the meal. Wasn’t too bad both the food and the conversation. Hehe..

Oh yeah, this shot was taken outside the Brisbane City Museum. Couldn't resist it with the lion and the Starbucks coffee cup beside it..

National Day was spent at one of the OCF member’s place. Attempted to watch the parade online but was thwarted time and time again by the slow connection rate. Ended up having the desserts and singing some standard National Day songs. Yup, messaged my parents as well to wish them Happy 25th Anniversary. Some 25 years ago, yada yada, they were married on National Day and hence my appearance in this world. =)
Quite done now, it’s time to go back and find some more readings for my upcoming project. Hopefully, the cybary thing has enough resources.
~ All things in His time, for He makes all things beautiful in His time ~


<< Home